There are a number of ways to garden at PHCF. Please remember, we are an organic garden and the use of pesticides and herbicides is forbidden.
- Sign up for an open hours slot on the sheet in the notice board.
- All members may plant in the two communal vegetable beds in the rear of the garden (see map).
- If you would like to help maintain our communal ornamental areas in the front half of the garden, please firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to a Master Gardener
- For private box questions, see the box list FAQ
- Garden with friends! Come to the next work day listed on our calendar. This is the best way to gain experience gardening.
- Foods scraps and healthy herbaceous plant materials may be added to the compost bins in the rear of the garden. More details are on the composting page and in the garden.
- We communicate garden updates through our listserve. If you are a current member, but not part of our listserve, contact the Communications Coordinator for an invitation to be re-sent.
Service Hours Breakdown
The garden thrives because of its members! It is each member’s personal responsibility to ensure they understand and fulfill their Responsibilities of Membership.
- Open Hours, April 1-October 31 only
- Other/Project Hours, garden-year round
- Group Garden Days: No pre-sign up needed, just come and make sure to write your hours on the sign in sheet when you’re there
- Compost Winter Open Hours and Projects: email email@example.com
- Various: Email the coordinator of the project
To ensure accuracy in recording, the meeting attendance, dues payment, and service hours tallies for all current members are posted here for 2017 and posted here for 2018. Each individual member who has received a key is listed here. If you joined with a partner and only receive one key, please pick a primary member name for all meeting and Service Hour sign ups.
If there are any questions or discrepancies, please contact the appropriate coordinator as listed below.
- Project Hours: the Member who organized the service activity
- Open Hours: Service Hours Coordinators Note: Hours are taken directly from the sign up sheet; sign up at the garden for credit.
- Compost: Compost Coordinators
- Box Status: Box Coordinator
- Meeting Attendance: Secretaries
- Dues: Treasurers
- Please also CC (Copy) the Service Hours Coordinators as well as it may just be a formula error
At the garden
- If you are opening the garden, always hang the lock on the hook located on the rear of the post underneath the notice board
- If someone gets hurt inside the Garden
- If the person is in need of immediate medical attention or it is an emergency, call 911
- If it’s not an emergency, make sure the person is able to make their way safely home
- After the injured person is taken care of, please send a summary within three (3) calendar days to the listserve
- If something needs fixing/ repair
- If there is a dangerous condition in the Garden that needs to be addressed (like a hole that someone might step in) please do your best to make sure that others won’t get injured, and notify the board via email
- If utility personnel need access to the Garden
- Confirm which company they are from and what they need to do
- For minor work, you may approve their entry at your discretion
- For any substantial work (climbing, digging, demolition etc), please provide their contact information and specifics to the board – please let them know we need to obtain approval and will contact them if approval is granted.
- If you are departing, the garden may need to be locked up, please check if anyone else is in the garden
- No: Great, please lock up
- Yes: Is it a member? (If you do not recognize the other persons, feel free to inquire if they are members.)
- No: Please let them know you are closing up the garden
- Yes: Let them know you are leaving
Leaving the garden
If you no longer wish to be a member of the garden, please return your key to the Treasurers, unsubscribe from the email list, and let the box coordinator know to remove you from the waitlist (if applicable).